Why the Dalai Lama Matters
The suppression of Tibet’s cultural heritage has the potential to set a precedent for all oppressed peoples of the world. Perched on the top of the world. changes in Tibet’s ecosystem affect the entire global climate. And, most importantly, Tibet is the spiritual and physical home of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, to which he can never return.
But why does Tibet matter to you? Tibet is more than its mountains, its monks, and its martyrs. Robert Thurman, renowned Tibetan scholar, teacher, and activist, presents his provocative, five-point plan that will enable China to win the respect of the entire world by allowing Tibet to regain its cultural, economic, and political autonomy. Thurman shows how the Dalai Lama's tireless work is the harbinger of peace for the world yet to come and essential for human survival.
The book outlines several key factors that will educate and empower readers to take action:
- What is the history of Tibet, and how do the political, religious, ecological, and social factors affect each other?
- Who is the Dalai Lama, and why does his work matter to the world?
- What does the China-Tibet relationship represent for the global community?
- What can individuals do to bring attention to this issue, and make a change where they are?
- How can the five-point plan be used as a model of peaceful change in the world?